What is MomCare?
MomCare will help you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby. It is sponsored by the Florida Department of Health, Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration and Florida Healthy Start Coalitions.
How Will it Help You?
When you find out that you are pregnant, you may have many questions. MomCare helps you get answers to your questions. You learn about and get the services you need for you and your baby.
Some questions are:
• What do I do?
• Where do I go?
• What is available for me?
• How do I get help?
• Who do I talk to if I have a problem?
How Does it Work?
A caring MomCare Maternity Care Advisor is waiting to help you during your pregnancy. Your Advisor will talk with you and assist you in getting medical care and services you need. Many people find this process very confusing. Your Maternity Care Advisor will work closely with your doctor or midwife. Your Advisor can arrange services you may need such as classes or counseling. Your Advisor will also help you if you need to change doctors or midwives.
How Will Your MomCare Maternity Care Advisor Help You?
Some ways your MomCare Maternity Care Advisor can help you are:
• Explain MomCare
• Tell you about services you can get
• Help you find a doctor or midwife
• Tell you about the Healthy Start Program
• Help you get into Woman, Infant and Children’s (WIC) Nutrition Program
• Call you to see how you are doing
• Help you find a doctor for your baby
• Help you find health insurance for your baby
• Answer questions you may have
• Help you get other prenatal services like classes, counseling, or help from other agencies
• Help you if you have special needs[/bscolumns][bscolumns class=”one_half_last”]
Need Help Choosing Your Doctor or Midwife?
You will be given a list of doctors and midwives from your Maternity Care Advisor. If you have not already chosen your doctor or midwife, your Advisor will help you choose. It is important for you to make this decision soon. This way you will be able to see your doctor or midwife as soon as possible. If you do not pick one in 30 days, your MomCare Maternity Care Advisor will choose a doctor or midwife for you that is within a 30 minute drive from your home. We look forward to helping you have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
What is Pre-Term Labor?
Pre-Term Labor is when you go into labor 3 or more weeks before your baby’s due date. This is too early and your baby can be born too soon.
Signs of Pre-Term Labor:
IF ANY OF THESE SIGN HAPPEN, CALL YOUR DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE RIGHT AWAY.
• Cramps that feel like your period
• Cramps in your belly with or without diarrhea
• Low, dull backache
• The feeling that your baby is pushing down hard
• Bleeding from your vagina
• Water leaking from your vagina
• Contractions every 10 minutes or more often
Remember to keep all important names and telephone numbers in one place!